Wednesday, February 25, 2009

CWG Conference Day Four

Day four was emotional saying goodbye to new friends during breakfast. With only two hours of the conference left, I finally met Sandy, a writer from Southwest Florida. We didn’t see each other during the entire conference and on the very last morning, I looked up and there she was - I’m still amazed. I’m also excited about future book talk over coffee.


One of the most touching things I witnessed was Lori from Rhode Island assisting a woman to and from her wheelchair. While others were absorbed in the last session, I saw her out of the corner of my eye helping someone else. I met Lori at the 2008 conference and sensed she was caring and compassionate ... this year I witnessed it firsthand.


One of the most encouraging messages came at the very end of the conference. Jerry B. Jenkins said writers are procrastinators - what a relief! Those who know me, have worked for me, etc. are also well aware that I am one of the world’s worst procrastinators when it comes to writing. I need the deadlines to get the adrenaline going and I’ll procrastinate just long enough to put myself under pressure to meet that deadline.


Jerry also said you have to force yourself to write and to meet the deadlines, because if you do you’ll stand above most writers - only 1 in 100 writers makes their deadline.


Day four of the conference ended – exhausted complete with sandpaper skin and a clogged nose. God is good.


The picture of Pike's Peak to the left was taken outside the airport. I was privileged to have lunch at the airport with Joan from Atlanta again ... we had lunch together before leaving the airport in 2008. She is such a great encourager and a delightful person to know. I hope we'll continue the tradition for many years to come.


From Colorado Springs to Dallas I sat next to Linda from Virginia. I thought she was another writer from the conference, but she was at a conference for Tupperware and it was a joy to meet her and talk to her. If I decide to add another career I'll be calling her.

No comments:

Post a Comment