Friday, March 20, 2009

The book "Murder By Family"

I met Kent Whitaker at breakfast one morning during the 2008 Christian Writers Guild conference. The table grew quiet when it came time for Kent to introduce himself and talk about the book he was writing. As soon as he began talking, I remembered seeing his story on 48Hours Mystery! Frankly, I was stunned ... not just at the circumstances, but at the way this Godly man presented his story on the show and how he was talking about it at the table.

His book, Murder By Family, is a true story about the murder of his wife, Tricia, and his son, Kevin, orchestrated by his son, Bart. As stated in the subtitle, this book is, "the incredible true story of a son's treachery and a father's forgiveness." I had forgotten about this story until I went back to the conference last month. Kent and his testimony came to mind and I searched for his book. I recommend it for anyone struggling with their faith, feeling overwhelmed by their circumstances, or just in need of inspiration.

I ask myself, "Would I be able to forgive? Would I have this much love?" I hope the answers would be yes, but I honestly don't know. Forgiveness, for what I thought were the "big" things until I heard his story, doesn't come easy for me. I have to constantly stay in the Word and work on it. What about you?

I was already blown away by the way this man handled this terrible tragedy and then I got to the last page ... all his royalties for the book go to a December 10 Fund (managed by the Houston Christian Foundation). Wow! Can you say "true" Christian and role model?

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I remember that breakfast, Paula, and Kent's amazing story. Thanks for reviewing the book. God has glorious power.

    ReplyDelete