Monday, March 9, 2009

Books on Creativity

Two books on creativity caught my eye while at the Christian Writers Guild conference a few weeks ago. When I found them on McNair Wilson's recommended reading list, they both came home with me and I finished reading them last week ... thumbs up to both. They were copyrighted more than a decade ago, but their messages are timeless.

Orbiting the Giant Hairball
: A Corporate Fool's Guide to Surviving with Grace was written by Gordon Mackenzie, an insider at Hallmark Cards for 30 years. He takes you on a fun-filled journey inside the "giant hairball" 0f a large corporation. Then, he shows you how to break free of the restrictive hairball and bring back the creativity. I'll be recommending this book to everyone I know. In this time of economic turmoil, we all need to maximize our creativity to survive and prosper.

Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art, written by Madeleine L'Engle is a classic for Christian artists. This book takes you on a spiritual walk with your art, regardless of its form - music, painting, sculpting, writing - leading you back to the Creator. I'll be pulling this one off the shelf when I'm struck with procrastination magnified and writing avoidance syndrome.

No comments:

Post a Comment