Saturday, March 28, 2009

"The Shack"

I read "The Shack" because of the controversy surrounding it. I wanted to find out for myself what was so good (according to some) and so bad (according to others). Since finishing the book, I went online and read some of the posts concerning the book. Wow! There are certainly many heated discussions with very strong, opposing views out there.

You'll be disappointed if you're looking for an opinion supporting either of the extremes in this blog. I do, however, have multiple opinions about the book. As a writer, I thought the writing was okay, but not excellent. As a woman, I thought it was a good story because the conflict was resolved. I, like most women, want to fix everything and have resolution to circumstances and problems. As a Christian, I was comforted by the personification of personal relationships with God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, yet, at the same time, disturbed by the humanistic portrayal of the Holy Trinity.

In summary, I think the book is a very edgy, fictional story about having a relationship with God. Do I recommend this book, think it is life changing, a great novel, etc.? No. Do I not recommend this book, think it is heresy, from Satan, etc.? No. I leave it up to you to read it or not. However, if you do decide to read it, prepare to be affected - either positive or negative.

One final thought. While parts of the book disturbed my personal belief system, I kept thinking "... for whoever is not against us is for us." Thus, in the end, if one soul is won for Christ because it was written and read, then it fulfilled its Christian fiction purpose. If lukewarm Christians find passion because they read it, then it fulfilled its Christian fiction purpose. If strong Christians become more passionate and resolute in their faith because they read it, then it fulfilled its Christian fiction purpose.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Paula, I finally just read this book and couldn't agree with you more. I loved the way Young was able to communicate so much of what I believe about relating to God and about overcoming deep hurts with God. I can see where people have some concerns about the theology behind the book but I can see where it would be deeply healing for others. I loved it and I appreciate the courage of your review!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete