Wednesday, February 25, 2009

CWG Conference Day Two


Day two began with hope and inspiration at the morning devotions where I met Pamela (suspense) and David (science fiction) from Colorado. I joined them for breakfast and added two more friends to my life.

The first editor appointment left me confused … good idea, bring out more of the political aspect, and enter it in the annual contest. The second appointment was a mixed bag - good idea, develop the main character more, and get an agent. Since this was my first time before book editors, I initially thought both appointments went well. Then, I talked to other writers who were told to send their proposals directly to the editors. I concluded my appointments did not go well and the editors were being polite. God must have known my doubts and insecurities were surfacing - he placed Pamela and David in the hallway with encouraging words.

I had also stepped out of my comfort zone and sent in dialogue for an anonymous critique during an afternoon workshop. As soon as I’d emailed it and printed it out, I found two errors so I entered the room with much anxiety. As it turned out, only one of the two initial mistakes were pointed out and a couple of other minor ones came to the surface. Victory! I survived the critique.

For dinner, I joined an editor, who had requested a proposal from everyone at the lunch table, so I expected I would also have that opportunity. Instead, I was told the publishing house didn’t accept “supernatural thrillers”. Okay, I learned I don’t write suspense, I write supernatural thrillers, which was fine until I ran into my plane companion. She also writes supernatural thrillers, but the same editor said he would make an exception for her and if his publishing house wouldn’t accept it, he’d send it on to others. I was crushed.

Day two ended – discouraged, wondering why I went, and questioning myself as a writer. God is still good.

No comments:

Post a Comment