Monday, May 11, 2009

"Fireflies in December" Book Review

This historical novel addresses the issue of prejudice and the widespread influence of the Ku Klux Klan in the 1930s. While reading the book, I thought about how far we've come as a society,how far we still have to go, and how God will always be there to see us through it.

It transported me back in time and melded with stories my grandma used to tell me about growing up in south Georgia. I don't know if she witnessed burning crosses or white-robbed men, but I'm sure she knew about them. She talked some about the 'colored' family that lived near them and about being dirt poor ... the house she grew up in had dirt floors. This leads me to believe the Ku Klux Klan most likely visited the area, but it is only speculation.

When she talked about the 'colored' family, she never talked about them with disrespect or prejudice. Perhaps her family's lack of social status had something to do with it, perhaps a lack of white supremacy indoctrination, or maybe just blissful ignorance in her case. I'll never know. I do know, however, there was still a separation of color even at the lowest level of social class and prejudice would eventually rear its ugly head even in her family.

Thank you, Jennifer, for a great read, a reminder of America's imperfect past, and a look at what can be accomplished through faith, friendship,and Christian love.

No comments:

Post a Comment